This article explains how to change the collation settings for MySQL databases and tables using phpMyAdmin.
You can store and process data in different variety of languages using various character sets through MySQL.
For some of the operations like a comparison of two strings, MySQL uses a set of rules that determine the quality and the type of sorting order. This set of the rule is called as collation.
To change the collation for a database or table based on the character set on which you want to use string data, you can use phpMyAdmin tool in cPanel.
# Steps to change default collation for the database
1. Log in to cPanel account.
2. In the cPanel home screen go to the Databases section and click on phpMyAdmin.
Now, the phpMyAdmin administration page will appear in a window.
3. On the left side of the panel, click on the name of the database that you want to modify.
4. Click on Operations at the top of the menu bar.
5. Under the Collation, select the collation that you want for your database, and then click on Go.
# Steps to change the collation for a table
1. Log in to cPanel.
2. In the cPanel home screen, go to the Databases section and then click on phpMyAdmin.
Now, the phpMyAdmin administration page window will appear.
3. In the left side of the panel, click on the + icon that is next to the name of the database and contains the table that you want to modify. phpMyAdmin will expand the view to show the database’s tables.
4. Click on the name of the table that you want to modify.
5. Click on Operations, in the top menu bar.
6. Under the Table options, in the list box for Collation, select the collation that you want for the table and then click on Go.
Also Read :