This article explains how to install the Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux (EPEL) repository on an unmanaged server running CentOS. The EPEL repository allows you to install additional Fedora-based packages on CentOS servers.
# Steps to install the EPEL repository
Perform following steps to install the EPEL repository on your CentOS unmanaged server :
1. As a root user, log in to the server.
2. Now in the command prompt, type the following command
yum -y update
3. Type the following command to install EPEL repository
yum -y install epel-release
4. To verify that the EPEL repository has been added, enter the following command :
A similar line should appear in the list of repositories :
epel Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64
5. Now you can install any of the packages in the EPEL repository.
Also Read :