What is Hotlink Protection?
Hotlink protection prevents other websites from directly linking to files (as specified below) on your website. Other sites will still be able to link to any file type that you don’t specify below (i.e., HTML files). An example of hotlinking would be using an <img> tag to display an image from your site somewhere else on the Web. The end result is that the other site is stealing your bandwidth. This system attempts to add all sites it knows you own to the list; however, you may need to add others.
Enable Hotlink Protection from cPanel:
1. To enable it, login to your cPanel account.
2. Click Hotlink Protection option under Security section.
3. Click on the Enable button and it will be enabled for your account.
4. You can add the desired domains in allow list as well as block the extensions as required. The options available are “URLs to allow access:” & “Block direct access for the following extensions (comma-separated):“.
5. Click on Submit button and your are done.
Enable Hotlink Protection from Plesk:
Login to your plesk panel & look for option Hotlink Protection. Click on the button Switch On to enable it. You can add the extensions in the window which says “Protected File Extensions” & add whitelist/allow them in the windows which says “Friendly domains“. Click on Ok & you are done.