Magento has an in-built functionality that automatically installs modules for your ecommerce website. This article explains the method of installing additional modules and extensions for Magento through Magento Connect. Refer to the steps mentioned below:
- Login to the Magento admin area.
- Go to System > Magento Connect > Magento Connect Manager.
- A new page will be displayed for Magento Connect Manager and you will have to enter your admin login credentials again.
- After this, you will see two settings: Extensions and Settings. Preferably, you must check the options in the ‘Settings’ tab first.
- In the ‘Settings’ tab there are many options that you can configure if you know about those options; otherwise you must leave them as they are.
It is extremely important to create a backup of your website before downloading the extensions and before upgrading the extensions. If any issue occurs after some extension is downloaded or installed, you can revert the changes through the backup.
- After creating the backup, go to Magento Connect Manager > Extensions and click on the link to Magento Connect.
- This will display a new Window that will enable you to browse Magento Extensions.
- Once you have selected the extension that you wish to download, click on its name and then click on the ‘Add to Cart’ option.
- Once you have completed the checkout process, click on the ‘Install;’ button.
- A new tab will open in your browser where an ‘Access Key’ will be provided for your extension.
- Copy that key and then head back to your Magento admin area > System > Magento Connect.
- Paste the key in the ‘Paste extension key to install’ section.
- Click on the ‘Install’ option and then click on ‘Proceed’.
This process will automatically download and install the extension. In case there is any issue with the installation, some information will be displayed regarding the issue. Once the extension is completely installed, a new screen will be displayed for successful installation. After a new extension is installed, go back to the Magento admin area and adjust the options of the extension according to your preferences. It is also important to make sure that your online store is functioning properly without any errors.